Monday, January 4, 2010

Twenty Ten

No Hate in '08 ... Tried my hardest, but I'm a hater by nature. Don't hate the player, hate the game.

Gettin' Mine in '09 ... Check, done. DING! Pick it up.

Lessons I've Learned 2009 Edition
  • Everything is temporary.
  • When you expect nothing, anything can happen.
  • People are going to think what they want to think about you regardless, so you might as well say the things you want to say.
  • If you say something, you better mean it.
  • It is amazing the conditions that human are capable of adapting to.
  • Sometimes it o.k. to stay in on sunny days and write. Or sleep.
  • Do what you gotta do, boo boo.
  • Timing is key.
  • You never regret the things you do, but always regret the things you don't do.
  • The universe will provide.
  • If you want something bad enough, you will make it a priority.
By nature, 2009 will never happen again. Events can be replicated, relationships deepened / weakened, and similar things can be "discovered", but the experience of 2009 was solely unique.

The year began with an personal acknowledgement to a new leader of the nation that I would sacrifice and contribute to a greater good, however that vision would be developed, only to find myself out of employment within a couple months. I always describe being laid off as the equivalent of being dumped, to which we all have experienced, but believe me when I say, I loved my job. The conversation went something like this:

Job: Listen...
Me: Yes, boo? What you need, I got you.
Job: Yeah, about that...
Me: You can tell me.
Job: Well, let me just say, it's not you...
Me: What? WHAT?
Job: It's me. I ...
Me: Are you... Is this for real?
Job: Yeah. I can't afford to have you around anymore. Baby, I've been trying for the past couple weeks to find a way that you fit in, but there's no room. I'm sorry.
Me: Oh HELL no.

And we're still not together. I haven't been seeing anyone since, but we all know what happens after an event like this... I immediately start rollin' for self. I hit the road. Almost instantly. Supplied with a cooler chock full of Gov't cheese and an automobile, I start gettin' mine in earnest. This year alone, I have gotten busy cross country 3 times and have stayed extended periods of time with New York City and Berlin, Germany. I'm not afraid to I became one of Travel's many mistresses because it's always a win-win situation. I'll show you mine if you show me yours. Travel has always been my first love. I am and will always be faithful because Travel is always like, "I don't know why you're trippin', it's not like I'm going anywhere. Damn. Get at me when you can."

2009 has shown me multiple lives and countless alternative realities where I may exist. And for that, I am grateful, but I am acutely aware that 2009 has not been without bullshit. Some severe bullshit at that. Without going into the details, let's just say I have a greater appreciation of life, and from now on, I will do my best to be an active participant.

The world has opened itself up to me, shown its most brilliant opportunities, and I vow to cherry pick the best of what I learned from each and every opportunity and create a space - mental, physical, all that - where I fit... and can enjoy them all. Because, real talk, it's been inside me all along and I just needed an opportunity to explore all the possibilities.

So let the filtering process begin. Love, Respect, Responsibility, Friendships, Decisiveness, Knowledge, Power, and Collaborations, you're good. Bullshit? Gets the steppin'.

Love Always.